Sunday 24 January 2010

A little back-track...

First off- I hate these elastics! I'm sure I don't actually need them (well my surgeon didn't think I did, and my ortho just said they were more 'for comfort' than to actually do anything), and they are just irritating me no end. The left side is absolutely fine and I can't even tell I'm wearing them, but I have constant pressure on my lower tooth and it's driving my crazy. It's not painful, but it feels annoying like when you have something stuck between your teeth that you can't get out.

Anyway, thought I'd back-track to the actual day of the surgery, because I was so late to update I forgot to add the backstory of the day of the op!

So,
I had to be there for 7.00, so we got up at around 5.15 and set off at 6.45-50. Anyway I knew there would be no traffic- but my mum wouldn't listen!- and we ended up getting there at 6.15! lol So we waited in the car until 7, then went to the reception. There was quite a queue of people actually which surprised me, but because it was general theatre admissions, obviously everyone having a day surgery was there, and whoever else like myself who would be staying longer but didn't require coming in the night before. Anyway we were waiting there until about 8.00, and then me and 2 other people got called into the ward 'holding area' (you just get ready there and then wait to be called down to theatre). They said I was third on the list with my surgeon, and so I might as well get ready straight away. So I got on the gown and the stockings (which I put on wrong twice! oh well). Then a nurse came round and went through all my details, and an assisstant came round to go through the procedure and I signed the consent form. At this stage they took an inventory of all my stuff and packed them away in a secure box since we thought I'd be going in pretty quickly. Anyway, I didn't actually get called to theatre until 11.45. So all that time I could have read a book or something, but they'd already taken away all my stuff. My mum decided to wait with me all the same, but boy was it a long wait.

Anyway, I finally went down- a nurse came to get me and it was like a 1 minute walk to the theatre. I got laid down and was seen to by 3 men, who started my IV, etc. Anyway we got to talking about being left-handed, because I'm a leftie, and one of the men was as well. The other guys called me cack-handed (a nice derivative from our neck of the woods, meaning bascially lefties are clumsy, lol). Anyway my surgeon appeared over me at this point to see how I was, and to apologise for the wait. Then, I fell to sleep!

I don't really remeber much about the first day. I had an oxygen mask on all night, and went to the loo at around 3.00 in the morning. I was ok getting there until I stood up again, and felt very nauseous. Thankfully I was sick in the sink and not on the floor! It was just blood and my medication that I threw up. Not exactly pleasant, but since I didn't have a splint or anything to contend with, it was straight out and done with :P

The main thing I disliked being at the hospital was just who I happened to share my ward with. Of course it's not their fault, but it's hard to sleep when the lady next to you starts choking at 2 in the morning and can't breathe. I was always on edge for her sake! Also they never bloody turned the lights off- and if there's one thing I can't do it is to sleep with lights on. So during the days for example, I wanted to sleep but couldn't.
The lady opposite me was funny though. She must have been there for ages because she was walking around like it was her own house. She would go for walks with her handbag, come back and use the nurses station and facilties, come over to us and open our food for us or pour us some water.....at one stage she actually went and turned off my light for me because she must have heard or seen me getting frustrated by it.

My surgeon came and saw me on the second day and said I was doing fine. The next day he didn't come, just a load of other doctors having a good stare. The dietician came to chat with me on one of the days, and gave me some Nutren drinks (like complan) and both a liquid diet recipe book, and a soft food one too (since at this stage we didn't know if I'd have a splint placed after all. Thankfully I didn't need it) Then the hygenist came and took me to a room, showed me how to brush and gave me some tips.

I had to be wheeled down to have an X-ray taken on the day I went home too. I didn't mind going for it, but I didn't want to be stared at by all the 'normal' people, lol. I know people can't help but have a bit of a stare, although actually it wasn't bad as I thought it would be. Also when I was going home I had to wait in the main recption while my mum brought the car rund. Anyway as I was there a little girl walked past me with her mum and seriously she didn't/couldn't take her eyes off me as she walked past. I was just thinking 'please don't cry! please do't cry! lol- since my swelling was so bad and I looked like a sea monster (that's my analogy, anyway!) I just thought my appearance might be too much for a child to handle. But no, she just stared at me insolently like a child does, as if to say 'WTF happened to you?!?!' lol

Anyway, that's my brief additioal history for you :D

I see my surgeon this Friday, and I'm hoping he'll get rid of some of these stitches, and also tell my ortho that I don't need to wear these BLOODY ELASTICS!!! Grrrrr

Also yesterday I ate a proper dinner, just in really small bits. I had chicken, yorkshire pudding, mash, broccoli and cauliflower, and gravy. It's the first time I've felt like I've eaten a proper meal.
I've also been eating sausages, tuna and jacket potatoes, cheese on toast sans the crust (in small pieces), pasta and yoghurts.
My mum keep trying to get me to have a Nutren soup, but I cannot stand soup and you know what, if I can manage normal food just in small pieces or mashed up a little, then I don't need to blend or just drink everything. I'm not eating as much as I normally would naturally, but I'm still getting enough energy. Still drinking the shakes now and then, though, because they happen to be quite nice, unlike soups!

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you are doing well. Just stay positive and patient you will be feeling like it flew by in a couple weeks. :) And at least you didn't need a splint. That would have really stunk big time. haha. Make sure to keep us updated...
    Love and Support Always, Makay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just started following your journey. Thanks for posting how it went, that is always the scary point, not knowing. Best wishes for your recovery.

    ReplyDelete