Wednesday 27 January 2010

Day 15

I don't know if time has gone quickly or not. At day 15 I feel totally fine, except I'm still swollen and of course eating like a 2 year old.

Also I've got a bit more space to have a poke around my mouth, and I've realised why my lower right stitch hurts so much (or did hurt..it's improved somewhat now it's starting to loosen)- the stitch goes from my gum to my cheek, so I'm kind of sewn together at the side. As such, I'm going to try not to try and pull myself apart lol

Thought I'd list what I've been eating too. I had little range of movement for the first week, so my main source of energy had to come from the shakes and soups (ugh). But I was still quite weak for most of the week. Anyway, since I've been able to open my mouth more, I've been eating anything 'normal' I can that is soft and in small enough pieces for me not to have to chew it (the 'fork smash' stage). I really think this has helped me so much, because when all you do is just drink everything, you can feel almost bloated, and that you're drinking endlessly. Like when I had SARME, I went straight back to eating normally as soon as I possibly could. There's no point being extra miserable in all this, and despite it possibly being nice to lose a little bit of weight, I'd rather enjoy a good dinner (as much as is possible to have a 'good dinner' when you can't chew) and some ice cream! Although the concept of snacking has gone out of the window, which I suppose is a good thing. Instead I've been eating 3 square meals, and then something sweet now and then. A lot of what I have has to be cut into tiny pieces, but it's not too strenuous really :D So I've been eating:

Breakfast:
Weetabix (mainly just for the first week)
Porridge (same)
Eggs
Cheese on soft toast (in tiny pieces)
Beans on soft toast (in slightly larger pieces as the juice softens the bread more. Also don't know if beans on toast is just a UK thing, but anyway...)

Lunch:
Ravioli
children's type pasta shapes in tomato sauces (with/without toast)
Yoghurts
Milkshakes (I don't really have any milkshake stuff except ice cream and milk, so I added cadbury's chocolate fingers, and a banana...random, but nice!) need to buy some sort of ice cream sauce though I think. I love butterscotch, but can't find it anywhere. Will have to make do with toffee
Nurten energy milkshake (I got given these from the hospital. Had them mainly in the first week but I still have some left. They are really nice, actually)

Dinner:
Pastas and sauce (spaghetti, or pasta generally)
Sausage casserole (with mash and yorkshire puddings)
Chicken with mash, well-done veg, yorkshire puddings and gravy
Fish in cheese sauce with veg (I tend to just have broccoli and cauliflower, as these are easiest to eat)

To satisfy the part of me that needs to eat something bad:
Custard (or creme anglais if you want to be posh)
Hot chocolate (not really bad, but then not really good either!)
Ice cream
my mum bought me a little apple crumble compote thing today, so I'm going to try this. Yum


Also oddly enough, I've gone right off tea. I usually don't really go for coffee, but that what I've been drinking. Really miss my cup of tea, but it just seems off-putting to me somehow. I might try it tomorrow, though

~
I see my surgeon this Friday, and I'm hoping to see my X-Rays or to find out exactly how much movement I had done. Also hope he does something about my stitches. Still none have come out or disolved. The lower ones have loosened, but that's it. Also I've discovered why the one on my right side has caused me so much pain- the stitch is attached to the side of my cheek too as well as to my gum- so I'm kind of sewn together at that side

I've been sleeping on my side now too. It isn't 100% comfortable, and I find myself having to move every so often, but it's nice to just have some more movement. I've decided that my swelling is just residual now, and sleeping upright won't do much more for me at this point.


Also, I feel like I can officially say: I can breathe 100% through my nose alone [at night], and it feels great! It's odd to think that my jaws affected my airways, but then it's all connected isn't it.

3 comments:

  1. Hey there,
    I am awaiting my first surgery, the sarpe, on my top palate.I get it in Feb. I have a mouth horror story too it seems. I have a top palate that is too small and a jaw that is just plain messed up! The joint is wrong, it pops in and out of place when I eat, yawn, talk, or just want it to.. HAHA. I am having my jaw broken and re aligned 6 months after my first surgery (to allow time for healing). I have had my braces on for 16 MONTHS!. Being 21 it is gettin old, it was fine when I first got them, but im ready for them to come off!!! I found your blog while searching for stories on SARPES, because I am curious as to what is going to happen to me. My friend had her jaw realigned and her recovery was terrible compared to yours. You are lucky. She had to be wired shut for 12 days!!! IMAGINE! I hope your face turns out how you want it and I hope all goes well for you in your recovery!
    Best of luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're doing great on the eating. Your blog has been really helpful, esp since I am two days out from my first surgery.

    And yes beans on toast is a UK thing only. I used to live in the UK and eat it there, but not back home in the states and I rather miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats! You are doing awesome. And it is good you can eat some "normal" food. Give us some pictures soon! haha. I wanna see some side-by-side before and afters, those are my favorites. ;)
    Love and Support Always, Makay

    ReplyDelete