Friday 29 January 2010

Free from the stitch of doom at last!

Ok, it wasn't that bad, but I saw my surgeon today and he removed my lower right stitch for me. I told him it was irritating me so he had a look, and it had 'puckered' somewhat and looked a little sore, so he took it out. It's not infected or anything, just aggravated (as I was!).

He also talked to me straight away about my bad skin that I've suddenly developed post-op. He said that after the surgery you tend to get quite spotty and irritated (be it from whatever they put on your face or what, I don't know). Seriously my chin is hideous at the moment, and when the pimples first appeared it felt like a rash or that I'd been nettled. I usually have one or two spots, but I've got a whole colony at the moment! So will just have to wait for them to go in their own time (with the help of some face wash)



That was it really- he was pleased, I was pleased (I said thankyou to him about 50 times during the course of the appointment. To which he replied 'sweetie, we can't just sit and pat eachother on the backs for the good job' -just noticed that in writing that perhaps sounds patronising, but trust me it wasn't :D -. But I said thanks again nonetheless).

He pointed out that my smile/midline is off (which I have noticed but don't care) but it's quite natural. Perfection is not what I was after- normality was. And perfect isn't natural! I immediately thought of the stupid reality 'star' Heidi Pratt (quite) who's been in my glossy and silly mags recently because of the plastic surgery she's had done; she looks absolutely grotesque! (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1244464/Heidi-Montag-Before-plastic-surgery.html)


Anyway, that was a bit off topic! Sorry :P

He said because my lower lip and chin are tingly it means the nerve is just damaged so feeling will start to come back (it's called paraesthesia, don't you know). He also mentioned my facial movement generally, and that because they lift up the muscle from the face (of all the things to be squeamish about, this disturbs me a little!) it takes quite a while for them to get back to normal. Because I'm still swollen as well, my face does look a little odd when I smile.



So, anyway, he said not to chew for at least another month, but other than that everything is great. I'll see him again just for a last check up in 3-6 months.


PS- next week my family are going out for a meal. I'm going to go along and sit with my 2 year old niece. I can wipe her food off her chin, and she can wipe mine! :D

PPS- I weighed myself today and I haven't lost any weight. Seriously? Damn, even a broken jaw can't stop me it seems! Oh well, lol

2 comments:

  1. Glad you are doing well. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'Perfection wasn't what I was after. Normality was.'

    Profound, dude. And totally true. I had the same issue where my ortho wasn't happy but I was just ecstatic. Things will even themselves out once your muscles get moving again. Can't wait to see the final result when all the swelling goes down!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete