Tuesday 8 December 2009

Pre-op Nerves?

I keep feeling slightly anxious lately. I don't know if it's exam/assignment worry (although I'm usually quite laid back about that), general surgery worry, or surgery-cancellation worry. Or maybe it's a bit of everything.

The only thing really in terms of adademics is that I need to fit things around my appointments and surgery. For instance next week I need to hand in an assignment early because I need to come back home for my ortho appointment (more molds for my splint, X-Rays, measurements, etc). I have an exam the day before my surgery (not a huge, scary one, though thankfully), and also have to hand in assignments then, because the hand-in date is my surgery date (well, assuming it's not cancelled). I'm a procrastinator though, so I tend not to get overly-anxious about work anyway. I work better under pressure, I find! lol

I have been thinking about breathing after surgery though. I seriously can't breathe through my nose well, and at night if I try I just feel suffocated, so the idea of wearing a splint does worry me just a bit. Of course, if the whole point of my not being able to breathe through my nose is because of my malocclusion, then I suppose after surgery I should be fine anyway! I just think a splint seems too 'claustrophobic', if that makes sense. Heres hoping I don't need it in the end!

Then there's general worry my surgery will end up being cancelled. It doesn't feel right to have my appointments and my pre-op assessment when my surgery could be cancelled at any time. I just have a general feeling of unrest, and that's probably where my anxiety is coming from actually

Oh, and a question- how annoying are surgical hooks? I think I might be getting those next week too, so I'm going to have them on during Christmas, etc. I have to pick enough crap out of my braces without having to pull turkey out of these as well! lol

2 comments:

  1. You will be just fine. The surgical hooks are a pain to keep clean and they may bother your mouth some, but the wax helped me. You will get used to them just like the braces.

    As far as breathing, I had the same worries. I could not breath well before the surgery and I felt like I was suffocating at night. I told the hospital nurse about it and she assured me they would take care of it, and they did. They had an oxygen mask on my face after surgery. It was very helpful. I kept it near my face for the next 3 days I was in the hospital.

    Just a note: I had breathing problems before my surgery so I had surgery for that at the same time as the jaw surgery. When I woke up, I had a nose splint, tubes and the mouth splint.

    After going through all of this, I feel like I can assure you that you will be able to breath and you will feel fine.

    Hope this helps. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reassurance :)

    I ended up having the hooks placed today, but so far they're fine.

    I think I will do as you did and just let the hospital staff know about the breathing situation, so then I know I'll have the oxygen on hand if I need it. I suppose the route of the breathing difficulties lies in the malocclusion anyway, so I suppose it will improve after the surgery anyway :D

    Thanks again

    ReplyDelete