Wednesday 30 December 2009

Onto a Matter of Health, Rather than Mentality

Since you learn to live with the functional issues of a malocclusion, you tend also to forget about them (well I do!) and focus more on what is inescapable- aesthetics.
But lately I've noticed my upper jaw is straining a little bit, and doesn't really feel 'stable' when I'm chewing something particularly dense or just something larger generally. Because only 2 teeth touch, and on my left side, I do most of my chewing on that side. But I'm noticing that when I do chew something on my left side, it feels almost as if my upper jaw is being forced even more slanty. Obviously I don't mean my jaw is actually moving, but it just feels 'wrong' and uncomfortable like it's causing undue pressure on the right side. I can't really explain it properly, but it's just because of the discrepancy between the left and right side of my jaw, like a balance scale type scenario. I'll re-post a pic of me biting down just for the sake of clarity:




So I've been having to relieve the uncomfortable feeling by chewing on my right side instead. But this isn't good for me generally since it means I'm chewing less well than normally because the teeth don't touch at all (which isn't really saying a lot anyway since I can't chew well to start with!)

I think it will take me a while to get used to how to chew with a normal jaw relationship, but I'll be glad when I can eat a sandwich or an apple without any drama! lol (oooh, I long to bite into some fruit!)

Also, my countdown says 13 days to go! I'm weary of a phone call to tell me it's been cancelled any time in the next fews day, so it will be tense. I haven't bought anything yet either (other than a pair of slippers to walk to theatre in! lol), mainly because it's not definite enough yet for me to get really prepared. I have some revision and essays to write, so that will take my mind off it. And what's more- on the 11th I will be at uni to hand in said essays, and take an exam. What fun the eve of my operation will be!

I feel ambivalent about the surgery too. I don't feel anxious or nervous. Even though 13 days isn't really a long time left to go, it feels like it. I think again this is all due to the fact that it could be cancelled. It feels less 'real'

2 comments:

  1. That's the NHS for you - I wasn't nervous until waiting to go to theatre the morning of the surgery as I was convinced it was going to get cancelled and then it's a flurry of excitement to get down the hospital and the last 24 hours flies by. Then I had tears in my eyes just before but got chatting to some other guy waiting for a leg op in the waiting bit before theatre as we were both so nervous which made it easier.

    As for the bite... I know how you feel. It's great being drama-free (despite the in-out hassle of retainers), I still get excited when I see a perfect semi-circle in my sandwich or finally being able to bite into an apple (it's only now I feel brave enough to test the strength of my jaw!). Oddly, I still find when eating e.g. crusty bread I still 'rip' off the food with my bottom teeth. I guess some habits are hard to break!

    It'll be all over soon and you'll be thrilled with the result, I guarantee!! Happy New Year and speedy countdown!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I'm only 8 days away now so I'm more hopeful it will go ahead as planned. I can't imagine they'd cancel so late in the day (so to speak)

    I actually got a flase alarm today- my dad answered and was like 'I think it's the hospital!'. Thankfully it was just my local doctor! It was horrible though!

    ReplyDelete