Wednesday 14 October 2009

The Turn of the Screw Once More? - ortho app and news of more expansion

So had an app. with my ortho today. Not much happened brace-wise; she said there isn't really anything else to do now until after surgery, which is GREAT. That means at least the only thing now is just getting a surgery date. She took my upper wire out- and obviously there was a reason for taking it out- but she put the same one back in again with no real changes to it, as far as I can discern. So dunno about that. My lower arch hasn't even been touched the last 2 or 3 appointments.
Then she got my molds that were taken last appointment, and while she was fiddling with them she gave me the bombshell (though not too much of one, in terms of the big picture) that I still need more expansion; relapse obviously comes into play, but she said for me I could have done without the relapse because I needed so much (I think overall I expanded 10mm the first time) to begin with. She said during the surgery they will just do the additional expansion then. I suppose that means I will have to wear an expander or TPA again, though I won't be actively axpanding my jaw after surgery. From what I gather all the expansion that I need will be carried out during the op. If it's a TPA I don't mind ( http://www.qcortho.com/TPA%201.jpg ) because it doesn't get in the way too much. However I don't know what else I will have in my mouth from the surgery- a splint? Might be rather in the way!

After that she just took some measurements of my midline/cant/underbite (or 'reverse overjet', as would be the technical term)/lip diameter...and one that seemed funny to me- length of neck (she measured from my chin down at an angle to my neck). Apparantly mine much longer than is normal. Who knew....

She said that generally people have more of a movement of the uppr jaw than lower, however in my case my lower will be moved the most. Doesn't really matter in general terms, but it's good to know. Also I remember hearing the measurement of 6mm for something, which I will assume is my underbite. According to this site (which I just stumbled on): http://www.guysandstthomas.com/services/ambulatory/dental/orthodontics.aspx that puts me in the highest grade of 'need of treatment'- Grade 5. Yay, I feel so special. Like when you get an A* in an exam

So now I'm done teeth-wise, it's just a matter of when will my surgery be? Again she reiterated that a lot of the time surgery dates are cancelled first time round. My question to that would be; if you know things are overbooked and will inevitably be cancelled, why not just not overbook and not get people's hopes up, and book dates you know will be followed through with? As with anything though, that is too simple a view. I will just take my first surgery date as a general timeline, and go from there. I suppose though, that given my appointment with the surgeon to find this out is in November, chances of a surgery this year is slim. Well, the chances of an actual surgery date, and not just one that will be cancelled!

Any clairvoyants in the house (although who would believe them?)

2 comments:

  1. Wow, sounds like you are moving on towards surgery. You are going to do great! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I'm pretty much surgery ready now, it's just a matter of waiting for the actual surgeon to be ready as well! Hopefully when I see him in November he'll give me some good news. Either way I'll get a preliminary date at that appointment, but I will treat it as strictly 'preliminary' and nothing else. The ratio for surgery cancellations here is 80:20 apparantly, but perhaps I'll be in the small minority where the first date given is the actual date. Here's hoping!

    ReplyDelete