Sunday 25 October 2009

Compiling my Interrogation..or preparing for one

I'm going to start compiling a few questions to ask my surgeon for when I see him in November. Although generally a clinic with your surgeon consists of your surgeon and his or her numerous cronies having a good stare and point in your direction, which always embarrasses me a little bit, and I end up just wanting to leave as soon as I can! My mum has decided she is coming as well, so she can have a good point and stare along with them I suppose!
I'm prepared for lots of 'bite down', 'big smile'....'bigger!'...'bigger please!'..'ok bite down again'. I really hate having to bite down for a prolonged period of time though, because my bite is so..unstable, that after a while my jaws start to shift and grind a bit. It's like when you have to balance for a long time and your muscles start to shake!

I don't really have much I want to ask, other than stuff like what can I eat, and how can I reduce the swelling. I don't think there's any need for me to ask about every single detail, but I'm sure he will answer possible questions I might have in the course of the appointment anyway.

I'll post any questions I might have later, and if anyone has any questions they think are particularly pertinent to know, do let me know!

I'm going to post some more photo updates too. Because I started writing this mid-treatment I don't exactly have progress pictures, but I have got some current pictures, which I will share nonetheless. Also a few of my profile, which though it pains me to look at them, it's the best way to see my underbite in its full glory
I tried to make a slideshow to put on my blog, but I couldn't do it. Might try again!

Oh also- my lower lip is in such pain lately. The braces seem to irritate my mouth sporadically, but the main issue I've always had is my lower ligs on the front 4 teeth rubbing my lip, and digging in them when I'm asleep (but I mean how does it happen? It's not like I lay face down on ym pillow!), creating a perpetual imprint along my lip of the pattern of the barces. I woke up today with a massive red indentation in my lip, so needless to say I've got the wax on now. I like this stage of treatment I'm at, where my wires aren't changed often now, so I don't get sore teeth much after appointments anymore, but my lip is irritating the hell out of me!

3 comments:

  1. Haha - I remember that session! Talk about making you feel self-conscious!! All I could blurt out was 'Will I be able to have an MRI? You know, in case I need one in the future??'! So well done you for preparing. Everyone's recovery is different, but it's still worth getting clued up and preparing yourself for the worst... That way you can only be pleasantly surprised!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still remember seeing my surgeon in 2007 before we'd even started treatment. He came in (again, with about 6 other people) and basically pointed out to them everything that was wrong with my jaw, and they were like leaning over to look. My crowding ('ooh'), my asymmetry ('aah!'), the underbite obviously ('oh yes, we can see it!'), the way my lips meet...then at the end he said 'Not that I'm calling you deformed or anything!'
    Maybe he realised the magnitute of being stared at and having all your issues pointed out, so he thought it best to add that disclamier on the end! Honestly, men are so insensitive sometimes! lol

    I don't have many things I want to ask him to be honest, but I'll write some things down anyway and take them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a surgeon thing! You forget it's a person on the end of the body-bit! Partly as you have to! They mean well though!

    Try not to take it personally - it's only cos it's something we're so sensitive about anyway. Just wait til the day comes when you stop worrying whether people are staring at your 'deformed face' - it's a huge weight off the shoulders!

    ReplyDelete