Thursday 29 October 2009

Some Questions, then

My clinic with the surgeon is on 12th November. So, here are my preliminary questions for the surgeon. I presume that I won't be wired shut, as it seems more common now to have the rigid fixation, so on the basis of that:

Main things I'm interested in knowing:

How much more expansion do I need, and is this all going to be done during the surgery?

Will I wear elastics, or have to have a splint or TPA again? (because of the extra expansion)

What can I do to reduce swelling post-op? because after SARME the swelling was really bad (If anyone remembers the game Theme Hospital, I looked like I had 'Bloaty Head'!)

- to follow up from the previous question- Will I be given an ice pack or some such aid at the hospital?


Things I'm sure the surgeon will cover during the course of the appoinment anyway, but if not I will ask!:

What exactly are you going to do? (that sounds rather accusatory! ). I'll add: 'How much will my jaws be moved, and where to?

How long will the surgery be?


How long will I be in hospital for?



What will I be able to eat post-op?


How long will it take to recover, approximately?


Hmmm, I think that's it. I don't really think there's much that is essential to know, although of course it's great to be well informed. I'm just not going to ask about every particular.
Anyone have any questions they think are important though, and that I've missed?

No comments:

Post a Comment