Sunday 5 July 2009

Back to the Future

So back to now (I think, anyway- the films always confused me)- Back to the big one- the bimax. SARME was all well and good, and my teeth are looking good now, but I always saw that as just another stepping stone to the real thing.
In Jan or Feb this year, I had an appt with my ortho and she said we might be ready for surgery in around 6 months. Cue next appointment, which are approximately 8-10 weeks apart for me- she said the same thing. Cue 6 months later- she says the same thing. So what looked like a possible time for August became a possible time ‘in 6 months’ from...eternity. Now you see why I’m sometimes I might be a little despondent and forlorn! But last appointment she estimated (6 months again) for December, and on my next appt which was last Wednesday she again said December. So I’m tentatively going to hope for a December surgery. It’s pushing the boundaries of a 2009 surgery, but by God if it’s not I will be extremely disappointed. Even thinking about a possible set-back at this stage makes me quite teary-eyed I have to be honest. I hope I don’t seem melodramatic, but, you know....

Anyway to brighten things up for me a bit, the past week has been quite good. At the last appointment she put on some steel wires (I perhaps heard ‘no. 19’ size, but then I wouldn’t know what that means anyway) and said these were my final wires, and that at the next appointment which will be September 9th she will take new moulds of my teeth. I think this bodes well for a surgery date this year, at least! She was showing her assistant my old moulds and my bite as it is now and they both agreed that 1) my teeth look great now (why thank you) and 2) I will have fantastic results in the end (but when is the end?!?! ).
Next bit of good news needs me to go back in time again- at the start of all this my upper jaw was so crowded my canines sat above the arch (see pictures in the previous post). After SARME and a few months of braces my canines had moved back down into their right spots thereabouts, however my left canine did not fill the gap the was left for it after I had had two extractions (the 2 teeth next to the canines- are they lateral incisors?). My right one moved very quickly, but still, for close to a year in braces, the left one lay dormant. My ortho said she needed to ‘redistribute the space’ in order for the gap to close, but as of my last appointment she hadn’t done anything to start this process. So now she put on some springs on both sides of my mouth, and yesterday, oh yes- HALLELUJAH THE LITTLE BUGGER HAS MOVED. Only a teeny amount, but wow; amazing. Thank God for these horrible springs! So I hope this progress continues. My next appointment is scheduled in 10 weeks, so it has time to.

So happy days. Progress finally. Let’s keep it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment