Tuesday 6 April 2010

Overdue update!

Sorry, it's just I don't have much to report, because everything is much the same! :D A few points, though....

I had another appointment last week. My ortho just changed my powerchain on the left side, and clipped my excess wire at the back. My debonding date is the end of May, but she wants to see me again just for another quite maintenence check later this month. I feel almost sad that I'm nearly done with my treatment, because I don't know if I can aptly express to my ortho what she's done for me, and I don't want to just be like 'okay, bye'. It seems too abrupt to just end treatment like that. I feel like buying her flowers, but at the very least I'm getting her a card to say thanks. I don't know if flowers are the most practical thing to give her at the start of a days shift...but anyway.




When I was going in to see her, I saw my surgeon in the other room (he visits the hospital mainly just once a month for clinics). He recognised me as I was going past, and so we got to chatting for a little bit. He basically just asked how I was, and asked whether the spots on my face had cleared. They haven't all gone, so my ortho said I might be as well going to the doctor and getting some antibiotics for it. I'm still in the spotty stage of life anyway, but the surgery brought out pimples rather than spots, that are still marked on my chin and cheeks, so I've got an appointment to see my GP next week.



My odd sensation on my chin when I have cold drinks has lessened, but it's still there. Frankly I quite like it! It also works if I breathe in sharply, which is just awesome!



Also, I'm disappointed in myself for my cleaning. I haven't flossed consistently since my surgery because it's just been plain uncomfortable . But I realise I need to get going with it, and I can finally maintain an open mouth for long enough to actually do it. I'm getting back on track now finally, oops

My ortho also had a chat with me about my education to be a clinical psychologist again. She says they really need someone to work with general orthognathic surgery patients, and also those with cleft palates. The thing is I'm just ending my second year now, so I can only 'help out' in the sense of volunteering, and only with some supervision which they don't really have aside from academic psychologists. Still, perhaps my calling later on when I'm fully qualified is to work within this realm, to help out patients who are going through this. I would certainly like to, because I know 1) how hard it is pre-surgery 2) how amazing it can be afterwards

I have a question for people about this generally though- did you have to see a psychologist before surgery? I know some people in the UK have, but I just wonder generally what people think of this? Is it helpful to talk to someone? Would it be nice to talk to someone who has gone through it themselves?

3 comments:

  1. No psychologist required here in the U.S. Personally, I wouldn't need it. I think one would come in handy if a patient had serious issues about his or her face or unrealistic expectations.

    If you're a psychologist, you're not supposed to talk about yourself that in-depth, and when I talk to people about this surgery, I'd have a lot of questions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't see one before and wasn't offered to - however I started counselling through my uni in the run up to surgery and am still going now - it has been one of the best decisions I made in my case, dealing with the aftermath etc. I don't know whether everyone would necessarily need/benefit from it, but certainly not being 'normal' really impacted on me in my youth....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't offered to speak to a psychologist either. I like the concept but I had tons of support from family, friends and jaw bloggers. I think if a person did not have this kind of support, they may need a psychologist and the best one for the job is someone who has "been there, done that!" I think it is a good idea.

    By the way, after my surgery I sent my surgeon a thank you card. I figured it was a nice jester and I really do appreciate the outcome.

    Blessings to you! : )

    ReplyDelete